Ten on Tuesday, for the Birds
Today’s topic is Ten Favorite Birds, which couldn’t be more timely as I’ve been enjoying the avian traffic flittering through the weeping cherry tree.
Not all of my favorites are outside, though.
1. Birds of a Feather. This adorable pattern is a great entree into softies if you were thinking of taking up the acrylic and hook.
2. Blue birds. My pal Cae has created a blue bird haven in her back yard. I enjoy knitting on her screened porch with her and catching glimpses of the little darlings. They look like three-dimensional flying watercolors.
3. Indigo bunting. I saw my first one while biking last summer, and I thought I’d seen an escaped exotic bird!
4. Heron. When I commuted by train along the Hudson in my NY days, I often saw a heron (not sure what kind) just as the train pulled away from the Croton-Harmon Station. I looked for it every day and took it as a good omen when I saw it.
5. Cardinal. I like the lady cardinals best. They look like they might be nuns.
6. Eagles. When Neal and I visited Albuquerque to look for my first apartment there, we drove up Sandia Crest and were flabbergasted to see a Golden eagle. Bald eagle sightings here in Connecticut, while not common, are not unusual. Such sightings always amaze me.
7. Owls. We have a noisy owl population in the woods around our house. I love hearing them in the wee hours of the morning, even if I don’t love the dogs’ barking at them.
8. Hummingbirds. They crack me up in the summer with their angry antics.
9. Seagulls. Their cry evokes the pleasure of the beach.
10. Friendly birds. Fun to make, cheering to have around the house every spring.
What are your favorite birds?