Ten on Tuesday: Hurrah for March Edition
Carole asked for Ten Reasons I’m Happy it is March. Easy peasy!
1. Day lilies and other green friends pop up to say hello.
2. Spring break. Five blissful work-free weekdays are right around the corner.
3. Crochet Month. I’m celebrating by completing the last two potholders for my e-book collection. My designer nephew will photograph the collection on his spring break, and by summer, a beautiful new version of the e-book with fabulous pictures and loads of detailed instructions will replace the current pdf.
4. Daylight Savings Time begins. I can’t wait for that extra hour of light at the end of the day.
5. Spring cleaning. We’re in the throes of Mud Season (the famous fourth New England season), yet I anticipate the floor scrubbing and window-throwing-open that comes with warmer days.
6. Neal’s ready to move forward with the porch. He made great strides before winter shut down his building schedule. This weekend he’ll be back out there, finishing the ceiling and walls, adding screens and doors, and generally creating a lovely 3-season space. There will be much crafting and writing and listening to ball games on the radio out there!
7. Menu shifts with the availability of early-spring produce. Next week I’ll finally make my favorite Spring Vegetable Stew* from A Year In a Vegetarian Kitchen.
8. Potential to bike outside increases. I just need a few dry, warmer days, and ol’ Trixie will make her first appearance of 2013.
9. St. Patrick’s Day. I don’t eat corned beef any more, but I’ll still fix some soda bread and potatoes and cabbage and raise a pint to celebrate my Irish heritage.
10. March is closer to May, when I’ll head to France to visit my Sara!
In past years, NCAA men’s basketball tournament would have been on my list, but my Huskies are not invited to the dance this year because of transgressions many years back. Too bad. We have a team with tons of heart. I think they would have played some exciting ball.
Still, March leads to April, and that is the very best part of the month, isn’t it?
*Hearty Spring Vegetable Stew: a recipe